Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Its a new day

As i woke up this morning there was one thought in my mind... "man, are you sure I have to be a grown up?" 


This year I took a huge leap and left the wonderful City of Orlando to make it big in the Midwest.  I suppose "make it big" isn't the right phrase, as i have moved cross country to the small town of Vermillion, South Dakota. Hardly the place to "make it big."  But I jumped in head first despite my big bad fears of leaving home and now I've decided to document the adventures.  


Here are a few tips I have learned that might help others with big, life changes before and after the decision is made:

  1. Weigh your options when choosing to make a big change, is the job, boy/girl, opportunity great enough to leave all that you love behind
  2. Skype often with those that you love so you don't feel quite so far away
  3. Bring things with you that you had back home! There is nothing worse than feeling like you have nothing from your past when you step into your future
  4. Invite people to visit that are sure to come, its nice to show off what you know about a new place
  5. Meet new people but don't smother them! you might need new friends but you won't make any if you want to be with them all the time so you don't feel alone
  6. Speaking of alone time, make the most of it and learn new things about yourself. Finally learn how to do that craft you've always wanted to try or learn to cook for one!
  7. Put yourself out there. Even if you decide you don't want to stay forever in your new home its nice to have someone to share it with ;)
  8. Take lots and lots of pictures. Document the seasons because you've probably never seen anything like it!
  9. Travel as much as you can both to get away and see what surrounds you
  10. Become a local, eat the food, try out the bars and make friends with the people that have been there forever! They can share the greatest stories!
Throughout the last 6 months these are the things I have learned that have made my time here more enjoyable.  While I hope that this has been a joy to read I realize they won't always be this cheerful. I wonder what is in store for me tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment